Monday, May 9, 2016

Door County Half-Marathon Revisited

A few weeks ago, I wrote about the progress I had made with my training. This past weekend was a true test of this training as Jody and I returned to Door Country for the Door County Half-Marathon and Nicolet Bay 5K.

This was our second visit Emphraim, WI for these races. I wrote about last year's experience in a July post titled "It's Supposed to Be Fun, Right?" In that post, I relived my unfortunate experience of crashing into the proverbial wall at the 12 mile mark:
I watched in vain as the 10:15 pacers, with whom I had started the race, disappeared around the bend. I kept shaking my head. Frustrated is putting it kindly.
I walked for a half mile before mustering the energy to run the last half mile. I ignored my watch. I tried to enjoy the moment as I crossed the finish line.
Despite the crash, I still had a PR for my half-marathon time, finishing in 2:11:45. Not bad knowing that when I registered for the event I thought 2:30:00 would be okay.
What a difference a year makes.

This time, the wall did not stop me and I set a new PR for my half-marathon time and shaved nearly 15 minutes off of last year's race time.

Unlike last year, this year, I started with the 9:05 pacers (these are one or two runners that typically hold signs with the mile per hour pace (or in some cases the projected finish time) on them for most or all of the entire race). My goal was to start with the 9:05 pace group and then work my way up to the 9:00 min/mi pace group.
Pacers (not Door County).
One of the challenges of running with pace groups is that they are typically congested with runners. For someone, like myself, who likes to run in a bit of space, these are not the ideal spots to be in. Where most runners run behind the pace group, I found the ideal location was in front of them. I could maintain my pace by listening to the pacers talk (and they talked non-stop while I was with them) or I could see their shadows.

I ran with this pace group for about the first 5 miles, until we reached the first climb, at which, I picked up my pace and left them behind me ... never to see them again on this run. Alas, they served me well by keeping me from burning out the first few miles like I did last year.

The rest of the race was fairly smooth sailing. At the half-way point, I was at roughly 0:57:00 ... well under my goal for a sub-2:00 hour race. I had a few moments when my knees started to bother me but I chose to run through this discomfort rather than stop and stretch them like I have done on long runs in Milwaukee. Despite the slight discomfort in my knees, I felt strong and relaxed.
At mile 11, I met up with Jody and she ran with me for a short bit. Her timing was perfect as we had our picture taken by a race photographer.
 

Then I reached mile 12 ... my nemesis point last year. I only smiled this year as I had no thoughts to slow down and start walking. In fact, I was even able to give the camera guy a thumbs up during this stretch.


It was also at mile 12 where I first noticed the 9:00 min/mi pace group! Once I caught up with them, I ran with them for a few minutes before deciding that I had more left in my tank and could pass them. It was not long before I could no longer hear their voices.

Where last year the final 1.1 miles seemed to take forever to arrive, this year, I found myself quickly approaching the finish line. One final burst of energy led to a quasi-sprint across the finish line: 1:57:25!


There is no doubt in my mind that training for the Green Bay Marathon resulted in the success of this race. Had I been focused solely on this run, I probably would have picked a training regiment that was not as rigorous. Alas, while I am very proud of my accomplishment, I know I still have one more big race to go as the Green Bay Marathon looms in two weeks.

As for Door County, Jody and I have already discussed returning next year. The challenge, however, becomes setting a new goal. This year's goal was a relatively easy target -- a sub-2:00 hour race. Aiming for a 1:49:00 would be wonderful but this might be a stretch given that this about an 8:18 min/mi pace, which would require a level of training dedication that I'm not sure I can commit to, especially during the winter months. A 1:55:00 might be much more realistic as it would be an 8:46 min/mi pace. We'll see. For now, I need to turn my attention to two final weeks of preparation runs before Green Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment