Monday, May 16, 2016

And then there was one...

One week to go before the Green Bay Marathon.

What's my plan this week? Fortunately, I have enough grading on my plate to keep me busy and distracted. But there will be a few miles here and there.

On Saturday, I ran my last "long" run before the marathon ... a wonderful 8 miles. Instead of running these miles as fast as I could to get them over with, I ran the 8 miles at my projected marathon pace -- somewhere between 10:30 min/mi and 11:00 min/mi. I admit, it is often difficult to govern myself to run at this pace. I imagine it will be even harder in Green Bay when the adrenaline is flowing for those first few miles. For the most part, I did okay with the 8 miles, but there were a couple quicker miles which might get me in trouble on Sunday.

On Monday morning, I ran 3 miles at my marathon pace. On Tuesday, I will run another 3 miles (also at my marathon pace). And on Wednesday, it will be 2 miles. Thursday and Friday will be rest days. On Saturday morning, before I drive to Green Bay, I will run 2 miles to get out some nervous jitters and remind the legs what they have in store for them on Sunday.

The other big component for this week is my diet. Almost everyone has heard of carb loading before a long run, which mean a big plate of pasta the night before the race.


Although I intend to have a hearty meal the night before the race, I have read in a couple places where carb loading should begin a few days before the race. I'm not going to drastically change my eating habits this week -- now is not a good time to mess with the diet -- but starting on Wednesday, I am going to reduce my fiber intake and increase the amount of carbs I eat. This will probably mean more oatmeal for breakfast, followed by a bagel for a morning snack. I will also incorporate rice and rolls for dinner. I have no idea if these subtle changes will make any difference, but I'll be perfectly happy if they have a placebo effect.

And then there are elements that are beyond my control, namely Mother Nature...

Several weeks ago, as a cold spell gripped Milwaukee, I joked that there would be ice and snow in Green Bay for the marathon. I as write this and look at the forecast for Sunday, I could only wish for cooler temperatures. The forecast as of Monday is not looking ideal for a race:


The race starts at 7 AM, so it will not be too bad for the first half of the race, but the relentless sun may take its toll by mile 20. I must remember to pack the sunscreen and a hat. I am toast if I forget either of them.

For the few of you who read this post, you may track my progress during the race. To do this, visit this website: http://www.cellcomgreenbaymarathon.com/track-your-runner/#/tracker/R7EHP63L. My bib number will be 1545.

1 comment: