Sunday, October 18, 2015

Now What?

A week after Chicago and I am back to "normal." I had a few moments last week where I felt as if something was missing but did not shed any tears over the fact that my schedule did not include any morning runs.

In the days that followed Chicago, my body felt great except for my quads. OMG! On Monday, it took me at least twenty minutes of gently motion exercises to just be able to get out of bed. And there were the stairs...


For three days, I took them one at a time, backwards, and even planned circuitous routes to avoid them entirely. I stopped dreading these diabolical beasts on Thursday and my legs have since returned to normal.

It was weird to wake up on Saturday and Sunday and realize that I did not have go for a long run this weekend. I could just get up and relax and ... do work (oh the joy). There was no waking up early to eat. There was just waking up early (i.e., 5 AM) because, apparently, that is what I do.

I can't say that I missed not running this past week. However, there is something that I do miss: working towards a goal.

As I mentioned in last week's post, the next race I run will probably be the Drumstick Dash on Thanksgiving Day morning. That's over a month away and more of a fun run than a serious race, therefore, only a minimal amount of training will be necessary. So, I'm not sure what the next big event will be.

I need a carrot to keep me motivated.

This coming week, assuming my recently acquired head cold clears up, I will go for one or two short and runs. But, it's not entirely clear where I go from here...

Maybe I will search for a 5K or 10K race in early December just to give me a target to shoot for each time I lace up the sneakers. We'll see...

1 comment:

  1. It's hard to "come down" after a big high like that, which is inevitable once the goal has been reached. But as you say, the solution is easy... new goals!

    ReplyDelete