Sunday, October 4, 2015

It Starts With the First Step

It is hard to believe that Chicago is next week! I'm a tornado of emotions: scared, excited, nervous, anxious, eager, hesitant, fast, and slow. I'm not sure what will happen, but I am looking forward to the challenge and the experience.

During these past several months, I have encountered several people who have asked me why I want to run a marathon, but I have also encountered several people who say “I could never do that.” My response is usually a shrug and a wry smile. However, the truth of the matter is: "Yes. Yes you can do that!” (Baring any physical, not mental, restrictions that prevent you from running.)

You do not run a marathon, 10K, or even a 5K the very first time you lace up a pair of sneakers. You do, however, need to start somewhere.

Maybe your first step is to walk around the block. This may be followed by running for 30 seconds or a minute, after which, you take the next day to recover. Then you run for another minute. Soon that minute turns into 2, then 3, 5, 10, and eventually 30 or an hour or more.

It’s all about believing that you can do it, that you can take that first step, and that tomorrow will be easier because it will be easier once you have done it! And then you do it again and push yourself a little harder, a little bit further the next time because you become stronger and faster each time your foot hits the pavement.

On Saturday, I ran my last long run before Chicago. This was a 10-miler. I wanted to test how far I have come in about five months of training, so I ran the route of my first 10-miler that I did in July.

July 10-Mile Run
I do not remember much, if anything during that first 10-mile run in July. I'm guessing it was not a fun experience given that I slowed down during the final few miles. I'm sure the temperature played a role in my effort on this run and I would alter future long runs to avoid the last few miles being completely exposed to the wrath of summer's sun.

I wish I could say this past Saturday's run was faster. It wasn't.

October 10-Mile Run
I started out very confident but then my stomach started to say that maybe this wasn't the day I set a new 10-mile personal record. By mile 5, the cramping of my stomach was too much to endure and I had to walk. The walking took the stress off my body and I was able to continue, though at a much slower pace, for the rest of the route. (I think the cramping was more a result of built up gas from the previous day's food than running too soon after I ate my peanut butter covered bagel for breakfast.)

Although I was not able to set a new PR, I can honestly say I have become much stronger in the past five months. In July, I'm sure that 10-mile run wiped me out for the rest of the day. This past Saturday, I was able to walk into my apartment as if I had just run a 5K, Contrary to the cramping, my legs felt strong for the entire run

More telling of all the training occurred two weeks ago. Jody and I went up north to her uncle's cabin. On Saturday, I ran 13.5 miles and never felt better. In fact, I managed to increase my pace by about 10 seconds for each of the final five miles.


The moral of the story is: this mental and physical change that occurred during the past five months would not have been possible had I not taken that first step just over a year ago.

Bring it on, Chicago!

3 comments:

  1. Great to read all about the progress -- mental and physical. Have a great Chicago Marathon -- we'll all be cheering even if we can't be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck -- enjoy the adventure! Whatever the outcome you should be very pleased with your efforts and dedication! L and B

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are watching your progress now on the Chicago Marathon website...only 8 km to go!

    ReplyDelete