Monday, December 11, 2017

Golfing

A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I played a fair amount of golf this summer. To deviate a little bit from the running posts, I am going to make a few posts about my other passion: golf.

I have been playing golf since middle school. Maybe my dad will know when he first handed me a golf club and started to tear up the grass next to the garage. Maybe I was 9 years old. I don't remember. However, I do remember the first time I ever tried to hit a golf shot on a golf course.

My dad took me and another friend to a local Par 3 course. I squatted down to tee up my ball. I sized up the green that was about 1,000 yards away to my young eyes. Nonetheless, I licked my lips in anticipation of hitting a sweet shot that would rocket off the club face, arch high in the sky, and land softly on the green. I could almost hear the roar of the crowd applauding the shot.

I pulled the club back and with one mighty swing ... I shanked it into the pine trees immediately to the right of the tee box.

A natural I was not.

But I kept playing ... and playing ... and playing.

There were a bunch of lessons. There was golf camp (twice). There were a couple years where I played in summer tournaments. I played all through high school. I had intentions of playing in college too but after trying out my freshmen year and not doing very well, I lost interest in the game and would only play the occasional round for the next several years.

An unfortunate decision on my part.

To this day, when I go to the driving range, it only takes me a few swings to find my rhythm regardless if I haven't played in a week, a month, or six months.

When I return to the course after a long absence, I quickly realize how much I miss playing.

Looking back, I now know that I had the game but not the mental fortitude I needed to take it to the next level. I never learned how to play "smart" golf and manage a course. I lacked focus and, more importantly, confidence that I could play along aside golfers who were bigger and stronger that me.

This said, I'm glad I am finally able to play on a regular basis again and apply some of the lost lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment