Sunday, August 2, 2015

Running in July

Last week, I posted about a running experience I had in February. This week, I thought it would be appropriate for this post to write about my running experiences (so far) during the summer.

For the most part, I enjoy running on a summer morning. I like the calm atmosphere. I like hearing the chirping birds. I like how the streets are not filled with traffic. I like how people who are out, walking their dogs, jogging, or walking, seem friendlier than those people who appear later in the day.


However, for all the good things about running on a summer's morning, the blazing sun and humid temperatures can quickly turn a tranquil sensation into a frustrating experience.


Several Sunday's ago, I was scheduled to run 9 miles. This was the first time I had ever run in "hot" weather. I don't know how hot it was ... it couldn't have more than 82 degrees by the time I hit mile 4. But it was a brutal experience. I ran 6.4 before my I could shuffle my feet no more.


I then walked for a half mile before trying to jog the rest of the way. I lasted another mile before walking home.


Part of the problem was that I thought it would be a quick 9 miles and did not take any water (dumb idea). I struggled mentally too. I knew the last few miles were going to be completely exposed to the sun. I just kept thinking how miserable I was going to be for the final 30 minutes. The negative thoughts got the better of me.

Everything I have read about running in the heat says it takes time for the body to adjust ... and to slow the f@!#$% down! This makes perfect sense if we keep in mind the 20 degree rule. I can run when it is -22 F out because after the first mile, it feels closer to 0 F. But when it is 80 degrees out ... well, the body thinks it is closer to 100. Not fun!


For my long runs, I have a water belt with two 10.5 ounce bottles. For my shorter runs, I carry a small water bottle that holds about 12 ounces.

This past Sunday, I ran 15 miles. It was warmer than expected and humid, but it one of my better long runs this summer. There were a couple reasons for this. First, I planned my route so I maximize my time running in neighborhoods where the streets are lined with trees and there was more shade (and a few sprinklers). Second, instead of one big loop, I ran two loops so I could stop by a water fountain at a local park. Third, I was not too worried about my pace.

Jody, the girlfriend, joined me for the first 3.5 miles, which was awesome! We maintained a nice pace that set the tone for the rest of the run. Overall, the changes paid off. I felt stronger and more at ease. I still hit a wall at the 12.4 mile mark and had to walk for about .5 miles, but with sun refusing to hide behind clouds, I thought I did alright.


Fortunately, Chicago will occur in October, with a higher chance of cooler temperatures, but one cannot help but think back to 2007 when temperatures soared and chaos ensued. Overall, my goal is to be smart and run within my limit. I'm not not out to set any records. I'm out to prove that I can do it and finish with an exhausted smile on my face.

1 comment:

  1. The temperature and sun make all the difference -- those and the time of day. Like you, I MUCH prefer biking early in the day when all is cool, fresh, and not crowded. Two contrasting examples: K and I biked about 35 miles on Saturday up along the lake toward Port Washington, then west to Cedarburg, then south and back home. It was mid-day when we were returning and it was hot and muggy. Contrast that with this morning: I left at about 5:30, biked a bit over 27 miles up and down the northshore, and my average for the whole route was about 4 mph faster! And I came close to hitting some turkeys!

    ReplyDelete